In the past Jeffersontown Fire Department covered this area for any fire runs that came out. As a result on November 18th 1940 the McAbee Hall burnt to the ground due to the response time from J-Town. After this incident the need for Fire Protection in Mt. Washington was realized and the Department was formed in 1942. In 1952 Roy Tinsley allowed the department to build its first 2-bay fire house on the Porter Street property. The labor and much of the material was donated. In 1970 the department became a tax district for the first time it could develop a long range plan for upgrading fire protection. Prior to the district all funds needed to operate the department came from donations and fund raisers. 1969 and 1972 the Department purchased the property that served as Station 1 until February 11, 1995. July 1982 Station 2 was built on Dawson Hill Rd. To upgrade fire protection for the eastern part of the district. April 1987 Station 3 was built Hwy 44 and Sunview Dr. For fire protection in the western part of the district. New Station 2 Completed December 1998 Kings Church Rd. near Dawson Hill Rd.